[Healeys] Starting nut locktab interference

John Loftus loftusdesign at cox.net
Fri Nov 2 12:58:37 MST 2007

Hi all,

Can't find this one in the archives so thought I'd ask the brain trust.

The new 837-090 locktab type washer for the Starting nut has a beveled
shape (see picture linked below).

http://www.loftusdesign.net/dog_nut_washer.jpg

The Starting nut does not fit within the flat area of the washer so the
corners of the nut hit the bevel first. The locktab is fairly
thick (.040") and doesn't appear to flatten out when torqued (and the
torque specs I've been told for the starter nut is 70 ft lbs. not
hundreds of ft lbs.)

What's the best fix? Add a washer to the flat area so the starting nut
stands a little higher? Do a small amount of grinding on the bottom
corners of the nut to match the bevel? Use an impact wrench (and risk
screwing up the crankshaft threads)?

I don't recall the original washer being so thick or having the bevel.
Is this a quality control problem from the supplier i.e. should I let
them know about this or is the way they are supposed to be made?

Cheers,
John