[Healeys] Young Drivers (was " List Opinion Requested")

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 30 14:35:12 MDT 2007

   Dave,
   Agreed.   I also disapprove of the "no passengers for a year rule."  I
   am quite confident, at this point,
   that  my  son  can drive competently, even with teenage passengers.  I
   say this not because he's my
   son,  or  because I'm a great teacher, but because he's serious-minded
   and conscientious--at least
   in  driving--for his age.   I've studied his skill level, behavior and
   demeanor behind the wheel and I
   feel he's capable of being responsible for his passengers.  After all,
   he's ALREADY responsible for
   himself  and every other motorist on the road (still working on making
   him more cautious of pedestrians,
   however).
   I  feel that because too many parents turned Chip and Heather loose in
   their brand-new BMWs--who
   subsequently got themselves in trouble--that responsible young drivers
   are being penalized (just another
   case of the "nanny state," I guess).
   Unfortunately, it's hard to turn back "big brother" laws; they let too
   many people off the hook for
   their own culpability.
   bs
   N5572B at aol.com wrote:

   <snipped>

   Now  I will get on my soap box.  In 2004 California changed the permit
   age  of  drivers  from  15 to 15 1/2.  Their reasoning was they wanted
   young drivers "more experienced" before they get their driver license,
   so the shortened the time before 16 they can hold a permit.  This is a
   real  problem  in California because those new drivers could get their
   permit  in  March,  their  license in September and NEVER drive in the
   rain or other inclement weather conditions.

   Cheers,

   Dave Duffey

   59 BT 7 project

   Credentialed    High    School    Teacher,   State   licensed   Driver
   Education/Training and Traffic School Instructor.

   See what's free at AOL.com.

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell at comcast.net