[Healeys] Rev counter

P.J.Aeckerlin j.aeckerlin at tiscali.nl
Thu Jun 28 13:43:44 MDT 2007

Friends,
Yesterday I took my car to a  Speed Center to have my carbs adjusted and
the ignition checked. It's a bit frightening to see a beautiful BJ8
being rigged onto two rollers, being wired like a nearly dead patient in
a hospital ward to a computer and then the brand new engine is carefully
brought up to 3000 rpm, cooled down, run up to 4000 rpm, cooled down and
then up to 5000 rpm.  End result was 137.5 real horsepower out of the
rear wheels at 4878 rpm and a max. torque of 253 Nm at 1717 rpm.
Interesting point was that the brand new 123 ignition failed after about
40 minutes and had to be replaced. Hopefully the new one will last much
longer.
Everything on the car worked fine with exception of the rev counter -
the needle hardly moved.  The car was converted to negative earth, so
was the tacho, and I spent some time making sure that the wire loop at
the rear of the tacho was looped in the right direction. Does the
diameter of the loop have any influence?
A friend of mine has a 100-4. Can I check my tacho by taking it out of
my car, hooking up a wire on the + of his battery, loop it through the
back, attach it to his coil and compare the reading of his tacho with mine?
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432