[Healeys] BJ8 transmission wear

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 25 11:38:29 MDT 2007

Ken:

I agree with Mike.  I change the gearbox / overdrive oil every other engine
oil / filter change.  I prefer Redline MTL or MT90 not so much for long
life, but for the much better shift performance offered, without
compromising the operation of the overdrive's cone clutch.

I think it's important to remember that the factory recommended engine oil
in the gearbox - check the owners handbook or workshop manual to verify.  It
is my opinion that non detergent oils will allow the usual debris to settle
out of the oil and remain in the case.  I think it's better to have that
debris remain in suspension in the oil - with frequent changes it will get
flushed out of the case much more efficiently.

I would think that following this procedure will keep things in order
without the need for additional filtering.  Just make sure that the screen
and magnets are in place (especially in the BJ8 which has steel synchros
rather than brass as in the earlier gearboxes).

I'm sure that there will be lots of diffent opinions on this - when it comes
down to it, I guess you just have to take your pick.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8