[Healeys] soldering fitting to steel fuel line

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Mon Jul 30 09:42:29 MDT 2007

The fittings are silver brazed to the fuel lines. This was formerly called
silver soldering. I bought a bubble pack with the solder and a tube of flux
at the hardware store and soldered it using my Mapp gas torch. Propane is
not hot enough.

1) get the parts clean and bright
2) cover affected area with flux and insert fitting onto end of tube
3) heat but do not remove torch flame from flux area--this is important--if
you remove the flame, the flux becomes almost instantly oxidized.
4) as soon as hot enough, touch solder to joint and it will flow into the
joint.

Be careful of heating too hot, as you can melt the brass.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA