[Healeys] Seat Foam

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sun Jul 29 15:27:44 MDT 2007

I've stated this a number of times before, but I think it's worth repeating.

Building up Healey seats is not a job for the novice. It is one area that
though admittedly relatively expensive, is best left to the trained
professional. This is even more true for the Longbridge style seats, built
on wood cushion bases, and with tacking strips around the seat back outer
base, covered in turn with a hidem strip. It is an assembly of a skilled
craftsperson that yields a correct and pleasing results.

The relative complexity of the assembly, the many tricks of the trade, etc.
all make one realize that if a novice to Austin Healey seat construction and
assembly gets a satisfying and correct end result, it's a rare thing.

What is the first thing anybody sees then viewing the interior of the
Healey. It's likely the seats, and when I stroll through a popularity show
at a large meet, the interior, especially the seats are usually the car's
weakest point.

I do not build the seats for my customers. For a BN1 for instance, I send
the component parts (if useable), including seat bases, backs, parcel tray,
battery compartment lid, gearbox cover, and lift out prop shaft cover to
Heritage where they can sew, assemble, get all these parts properly trimmed,
and return them to me. The remainder of the trim is sent to me as complete
kits for careful installation here in my shop.

It's the best value and quality results for my customer.

Rich Chrysler