[Healeys] Non Standard Colours

Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com
Fri Jul 27 02:01:52 MDT 2007

John,
The following information I have got mainly from members of the
Austin-Healey Club of South Africa and restorers who had one of these
cars in their hands. Completely KD may be the wrong expression for the
kits delivered. What I was told is that i.e. engine and gearbox were
delivered separately to the complete body shells (whatever complete
means in this content). I can only assume that primered bodies from
Jensen were prepared together with all the other parts needed. Several
parts were also localy sourced from South African suppliers.
Here what I have got from the Austin-Healey Club South Africa:

The CKD operation of BMC was carried out at the Cowley South Works, T
Block. All production Healey engines came down the same line including
units for CKD, and on for delivery to T Block painted. Gearboxes came as
a separate unit and also packed in the crate the same. Most bodies came
in primer and painted locally.

 In South Africa Austin Healeys were assembled at the BMC plant at
Blackheath in the Cape between the years 1958-63. Big Healeys and
Sprites were assembled from CKD Kits. Chassis numbers for Big Healeys
commenced with 1001 and Sprites 101. While the number of BT7's made is
unknown, the figures for other models were:

1958-59 BN4 105

AN5 134

1959-60 BN6 33

BN7 10

AN5 155

1960-61 BN7 70

ANS/6/7 44

1961-62 BN7 10

1962-63 BN7 5

AN5/7 2

That gives a total of 568 excluding BT7's. South African built Healeys
are indistinguishable from their English built counterparts, apart from
a plate affixed to the L/H inner wheel arch which gives details of the
car i.e.:

Chassis/Engine no., colour, trim, date built, etc. .......

Very useful info when it comes to a rebuild. All Healeys leaving the
factory were given an intensive road test to the top of Sir Lowry's pass
and back again -something that no other product emerging from the plant
enjoyed, not even the XJ6.

The Blackheath factory built 3 'Works' racing Healeys and two Sprites
(which have since disappeared) and one 100/6 which is still running
around Cape Town. To support this local manufacture extensive spares
were available from the network of BMC agents. Apart from this local
source Healeys were also imported across the range.

This part of the Healey Story is still neglected and the cars are often
put in the same category as we say "bitsers". Cars, which were made out
of 2 or more wracks.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany