[Healeys] Front wheel bearings

HealeyBN7 at aol.com HealeyBN7 at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 20:05:41 MDT 2007

4th power of diameter would be good - if the spacer/shim scheme did indeed
add dia/stiffness to the stub axle.  I do not believe that it does.   The
bearing/distance piece assembly has end play to the bearings to  begin with, as
advised by instructions in the manual.  And, the spacer  (distance piece) is a
slip fit to the stub axle.  It is not hard  coupled to the stub axle.
If you were to model this assembly with finite element analysis, the  spacer
would not actually be 'coupled'  to the stub shaft for the purposes  of added
stiffness in the model.  So, it would not add to the bending  stiffenss of the
stub axle.  It serves only as a 'distance piece'.

IMHO

Dave

In a message dated 7/24/2007 7:52:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,