[Healeys] Front wheel bearings

Marvin James britcrs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:47:47 MDT 2007

Gotta speak up. Jag E-Type uses the exact same bearings as the BJ8,
MGB, and probably others and does not use spacers and shims. I suspect
that given the front end weight, the loads on the Jag exceed the loads
on the Healey or MG. I'm away from home and my Jag manuals but I
suspect that they are set up just like a gazzillion 'Merican cars that
use tapered rollers without spacers/shims and tighten untill they drag
then loosen till the cotter pin lines up. Almost never fails.

That being said, I believe that the spacer/shim scheme properly
executed increases the effective diameter of the stub axle and
decreases the bending stresses which will increase their fatigue life.
(S=MC/I where I is the area moment of inertia and is proportional to
the 4th power of the diameter as I recall).