[Healeys] overdrive

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 05:07:46 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces+simon.lachlan=homecall.co.uk at autox.team.net
[mailto:healeys-bounces+simon.lachlan=homecall.co.uk at autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of James Shope
Sent: 14 July 2007 04:21
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] overdrive

got the gearshift adjusted in the bn6 and decided to let the engine run in
gear for a few minutes.  all of a sudden the engine slowed down and stopped.
thought i had sticking brakes but discovered the overdrive was very hot,
while
trans was still cold. could not turn propeller shaft in direction for
forward
movement, but reverse direction rotated smoothly.  car is on jackstands so
was
able to check everything easily, but am stumped. od turned easily both
direction previously,  and only work i had done on it was install a cam and
fix the oil pump, which had been stuck down.   any ideas.  will pull it next
week to check it out, but am flying blind.    healeymanjim
simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk

God, I hope it wasn't in reverse gear with od engaged? Usually not so much a
mistake or omission as a fault in the "gearbox switch" which only permits od
in 3rd and 4th.
That sounds like a possibility. Something similar happened to me. Big
problem.....new mainshaft and od internals.
My (all our) fingers remain crossed. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but -
whatever you do - check that the od is actually disengaged before touching
reverse gear.

Good luck,
Simon.