[Healeys] We're not alone

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jul 12 23:20:53 MDT 2007

   So's we don't feel TOO bad (from "Dr. Gizmo" September 4, 2006):

   The  fuel  pump  in my 1986 Chevrolet Suburban has been replaced three
   times  and  its acting up again. It never causes problems, except when
   Im  traveling  in  the  mountains  or  after Ive been traveling on the
   highway for a couple of hours. Unless I take the vehicle to a mechanic
   when the pump is acting up tests dont find a problem.

   My  mechanic has told me that a rattling noise causes the fuel pump to
   shut  down.  A  symptom  is that the engine starves for gas when extra
   power is needed such as when Im driving up a steep grade.

   What do you think causes the fuel pump to fail so often?

                                               P.D., Portsmouth, Virginia

   You  arent  alone.  Many  Suburban  owners  have  complained about the
   frequency  of  fuel pump failure. It appears that Suburban owners have
   more  than their share of these problems. Its expected for a fuel pump
   to  fail once but to have three pumps fail is unusual albeit that over
   a  20  year  period  it  wouldnt  be  too  surprising. However, I have
   received  letters  from many Suburban owners with later model vehicles
   who  also have had to replace the fuel pumps in their vehicles four or
   more  times.  I dont know of another vehicle with such a history. Lets
   face it, when the pump fails its a real pain in the neck especially if
   it  fails  far from home stranded on the side of the road. Not only is
   being  stranded  some place a huge inconvenience and a safety concern,
   but the cost of repair hurts, too.

   Some  of  the  symptoms  you touched on are rattling sounds, squealing
   noises,  loss  of engine power, surging and stalling. The symptoms are
   not  the  cause  of  the  trouble but are indications that the pump is
   failing.  When  the pump fails, the only thing to do is replace it and
   keep your fingers crossed it wont fail again, but deep down inside you
   might expect it will.

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell at comcast.net