[Healeys] scuttle seals

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Jul 12 17:13:11 MDT 2007

G'day

Oh yes we go to great lengths to keep out undesirables - even Austin-Healey
owning ones.

Australia was a very popular place for boat people for some time - mostly
coming from Iran and Afghanistan. It was Vietnam before that.

We then came up with the idea of declaring many outlying islands not part of
Australia so they couldn't claim asylum. If they were rescued at sea they were
sent to friendly countries like Nauru so their stories could be checked out to
ensure they didn't mean us any harm. Only then would we let them in as genuine
refugees. Amazingly the boat people have stopped coming.

On the other hand we are having fun as a result of the failed London attacks.
We have let in a number of overseas doctors and when the explosion didn't go
off in London the police found a mobile phone in one of the cars. Surprise,
surprise one of the bombers had been talking to a phone number in Australia
belonging to an overseas doctor. He was soon apprehended trying to leave the
country.

He said that he was visiting sick family in India and was coming back - funny
that he had a one-way ticket. He is still detained without charge and is being
questioned. The civil libertarians are having a field day but personally I
wouldn't like my liberty being deprived by being blown to bits.

Don't know about zero tax or honest politicians.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia