[Healeys] Quality Control

Dave Schweninger quenty at ntelos.net
Tue Jul 10 16:58:49 MDT 2007

Hello Michael.
I'm Curious about the thought process  that takes place at Moss and
indeed at every other restoration parts house I've dealt with.
How is it that parts that are of low quality, incorrect manufacture,
poorly or incorrectly finished are simply stuck in a bag and sent out
to customers?
The folks that restoring or repairing  these cars are willing to pay
a very high price for these low volume pieces. It seems to me that a
high quality part should go along with the high price.
Case in point.
  I ordered a license plate light lens from Moss (through "Tom's
Toys"). The lens is 3/16" too high. My light assembly is all original
except the chrome cover, also from Moss. This part came out of an
incorrect mold.
I had a similar experience with dash grab handle. The one I got was
in worse shape than the one I took off the car.
Dings and scratches. Tom tried to replace the handle but every one he
got was similarly beat up.
I know when I tell him about the lens he'll instantly say "send it
back".  So now what? Try other vendors and hope they don't use the
same suppliers?
I'm beginning to think that Repro parts are a waste of time and
money. I guess I'll bite the $80.00 bullet and get my grab handle re-
chromed. It and a bunch of other stuff. Damn.
I'm very interested in your reply.
Dave