[Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Jul 6 18:34:44 MDT 2007

Rich, my dash switch became intermittent recently and I took it apart to see
why.  There is a "floating" piece of brass in there that serves as a
contact, and it had a lot of green corrosion on it.  After cleaning it up
with a wire brush, re-lubricating the switch internal mechanism with
electrical grease, and reassembling it works fine.  If yours is original, I
bet it's in the same condition I found mine.

You could test the switch by connecting an ohmmeter and flipping the switch
until you flip it on and get no continuity, but that could take a while,
depending.  The hardest part of taking the switch apart is bending out the
crimped down metal tabs that hold the plastic part of the switch to the
metal part against spring pressure.  The metal is thick, and there isn't
much "purchase" for a tool.  Probably best not to be cheap like me and just
buy a new one.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666