[Healeys] High rpm's

J. Scott Morris jstmorris at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 13:08:45 MDT 2007

Hello Rich;  By my calculations in a standard BJ8, you would be doing 103.3 miles per hour.   I do think you have a problem.  :-)

  Details of the calculations are below and in the attached Excel spread sheet.  You can easily revise the inputs to match your car.

  Good Luck.
  --Scott
    J. Scott Morris, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada
    AH 3000 - '60 MkI BN7; '62 MkII BT7

            Transmission Final Ratio
    0.820
    <-input
    ---> Gearbox ratios [o/d 4th]
      Tire Diameter
    25.30
    <-input
    ---> 165/SR/15 = 25.3 inches in diameter
      Rear Axle Gear Ratio
    3.909
    <-input
    ---> std / w o/d
      Engine RPM
    4,400
    <-input

      Miles per Hour
    103.3
       Output

RAntal243 at aol.com wrote: << Greeting Healeyphiles,  While cruising last night at about 70mph in my BJ8, I noticed that the rpm's were consistently around 4400 while OD was engaged. This seems to me to be significantly higher than usual. What rpm should one expect at those speeds and if I am correct and the number is uncommonly high, what could be the cause? >>

J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives