[Healeys] Tire Recommendations? Yokohama

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Tue Jul 3 07:17:12 MDT 2007

This is from memory, but a few years back "they" came out with a
recommendation that tires be replaced every five years or so regardless of
mileage.

What I heard or read is that that was a standard being pushed by the tire
industry and that 10 is probably more realistic for a collector car.

Rubber dries out and internal belts can separate and delaminate over time
regardless of mileage.

In my opinion take a common sense approach--if you have a car that is
trailered to shows and gently tours you might extend tire life a bit, if you
autocross or go on long highway trips you might keep the replacement closer
to five years.

Exposure to temperature extremes and lots of sun has an effect on tire life
as well.

One sign  of age is the checking or cracking on the sidewalls, but they say
that deterioration is not always visably apparent.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1