[Healeys] Healeys, 6 Cyl. Roadster Assembly Order

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Thu Dec 27 16:52:55 MST 2007

Dan , et al,

First of all I cannot imagine starting to install any of these items until
all the outer body panels are completely installed and fitting perfectly.
That is to say, the shrouds, all 4 fenders, then the doors. The front
fenders on the 6 cylinder models muct be installed before the doors go on
because the hinges go partially over the rear mounting flanges of the front
fenders.

I also cannot figure why the scuttle seals need to be installed before the
doors. The installation of these scuttle seals is not impaired in any way by
the doors being in place. In fact they really need to be there as part of
the fitting and adjusting of the scuttle seals for optimum fit that will not
cause clearance problems when trying to close the doors. The portion of the
scuttle seal that fastens to the front fender rear flange only goes down
past the top of the upper hinge by about 3/4" so must be trimmed so it
doesnt go further. Also it's outer edge of rubber will need to be trimmed
back a bit so it doesn't protrude out of the door gap when the door is
closed.

Now, with all exterior body panels and scuttle seals fitted, I'd suggest
installing the dash pad next. This must be completely installed ( including
demister vent strips, dash mirror, turn button fasteners and trim screws)
before the windscreen assembly is installed so all dash pad screws are
accessible. Final adjustment of windscreen rake needs to be dealt with along
with the fitting and adjustment of the sidescreens as they fit onto the
doors, so all sidesreen leading edge angles and seals fit properly. make
sure the windscreen post seals and the screen to shroud seal lip are fitted
properly with the post pad squashing the end of the bottom seal lip. I've
seen lots of these installed wrong with the bottom lip stopping at the post
seal bead, allowing a leak. I have had good luck improving the sealing of
this area by first squeezing automotive dum dum into the area under the post
pad and all around the post where it passes down through it's mounting slot
area.

Rich Chrysler