[Healeys] Healey 100 4 cyl (A90 actually but same) Engine Bore Q

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Sat Dec 22 13:58:08 MST 2007

Hi Alan
Are you sure he has the dimension right on number 4? That is huge wear,
more than the first oversize piston in fact! If it is right there must
be a very big ring groove, ie big step at the top of the bore where the
rings stopped at top dead centre? Was there? This step should be
removed, or you run the risk of breaking the new top rings. I would
recheck first as it doesn't sound right, measure the bore in a few
different places, at various heights in the bore and at 90 degrees to
each other to determine diameter and out of round. If it is right I
think you are wasting your time and money just fitting a set of rings,
in fact you would want to consider boring and sleeving the engine as the
iron in number 4 must be as soft as butter.
Not exactly the Christmas present you were hoping for I guess.
Cheers
Larry Varley
Austin Healey 100 Restoration Site
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/