[Healeys] Tires / Wheels

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 14 15:50:50 MST 2007

Dan:

I'm attaching some photos that I have from the time I went through the same
agonising tire choice exercise.

To my way of thinking, the key factor as to how a mounted tire will look on
a Healey is it's diameter - how it fills the wheel arch opening.  I decide
on the Vredestein 185/70 15 at that time - it's mounted diameter is 25.6"
(at least mine are) which is as close as possible to the 26" of the original
bias ply tires and the no longer available Michelin 175 15, which is on the
right in the photos.  The left wheel with the Vred is a 457F's, the right
one is a 459 - only difference is the offset.  The 459 is offset about 3/8"
to the outside - actually a Morgan wheel that worked well on the Healey,
with the skinnier tire.

I've seen Healeys with the 165 Michelins - in my opinion, they look too
'short', particularly on the BJ8 which sits higher at the rear.  You see way
too much paint in the wheel arch on light coloured cars.  I imagine that the
Kumhos would look about the same.  The Vred's don't have quite the 'vintage'
look to them, but they are an outstanding performing tire - totally
transformed the feel of the car from the Michelin 175's that I removed.  I
am extremely pleased with them, and so are 6 - 8 other Healey owners in my
area that run them. They are softer and won't deliver the mileage of some of
the others, but then most of us will be changing tires due to age long
before they are worn out anyway, of at least we should be.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of DSCN0306.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of DSCN0307.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of DSCN0308.jpg]