[Healeys] Lightened Flywheels and Braking?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 19:54:58 MDT 2007

The force described is what is known as "gyroscopic precession."

A gyroscope will react in opposite direction to an applied force 90deg
in the direction of rotation.  Since a flywheel is effectively a gyroscope,
then when brakes are applied you might get a force 90deg in the direction
of engine rotation, counter to direction of the force applied to the
flywheel.

However, it seems me this counter force would be absorbed by the engine
mounts.

Maybe not.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell at comcast.net