[Healeys] Fly Wheels

BillHUCK at aol.com BillHUCK at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 15:30:25 MDT 2007

There is one other downside to a lightened flywheel, it has to do with
starting.

Should your points, condenser, plugs or timing be less than ideal, the
heavier wheel will allow for a few more cylinders to pop during the starting
cycle.

A too light wheel might cause the engine to stall too soon after the bendix
spring disengages the starter gear. Should you have lightened the wheel too
much, you might find that the engine will fire once or twice and then
stallb&
repeatedly. At that point you have two choices: retard the timing more than
you
would like or return to a heavier wheel.

I am an 85 year old physicist with a BN1, trust me on this. My engine was
dropped and its flywheel chipped, forcing me to reduce its mass by 20% or so.
It
blips nicely but it is a fussy starter.

In retrospect: no wonder that crank-started Model T Ford cars were made with
a steering wheel mounted spark retard. Henry knew what he was doing.

Bill Huck