[Healeys] parts comparisons

Bill bn1 at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 29 21:13:49 MDT 2007

Michael Shepard wrote:
> I also used BPNW when I rebuilt my 3000 engine a few years ago. I would use
> them again, but I would not use their bronze valve guides. I would stick to
> cast iron if I were to do it again.

Sorry to be so slow in answering this thread.  I totally agree with
Michael on the guides.  I don't know what his experience was, but I can
tell you mine:  A while back I had a blown head gasket and decided,
since it was off, to do a whole head job with the no-lead mods.  Eric
Grunden of Absolutely British did the work and used the bronze guides
for the first time.  I brought it home, a total of about 60 miles and it
ran great.  Got up early for a spirited drive, hit the starter and had
no compression.  WTF  Pulled the rocker cover and found that over night
all 4 exhaust valves had seized!!!  Back on "the hook" for the cast iron
guides and it's run great for the last 3~K miles.  Eric said never
again.  Agreed, but I have never heard of some thing like that happening.

I'll also vouch for Bill Bolton who has been a personal friend for the
30+ years I've been into Healeys.  How many of you knew that his
business name, Bolt-On Healeys, was coined by Margot Healey while
sitting in his living room?  Bill is an excellent source for rebuilt or
modified parts.  I'm running one of his 23# flywheels.  Man, what a
difference from the stock 42#.  It was balanced perfectly and the price
was great.   And it was an outright buy,  you didn't have to send yours
as a core.

Bill Barnett
'53 BN1 #663