[Healeys] Carrera Panamericana Rally Info Needed

Carlos Cruz healey3000bn7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 08:55:20 MDT 2007

Fellow Healey Enthusiasts,

I'm working on a small research project and I'm
hoping I can jump start it with the collective wisdom of the group.  If the
topic of vintage rallies doesn't interest you, please feel free to delete this
note at this time.  The rally in question is the Carrera Panamericana Mexico
1955 - 1965 and in particular, Healey racing teams.

I have tracked down a
couple of original black & white photos of a #8 white over blue 100 right-hand
drive.  One picture is of the car at, I believe, the start and one of the car
after an accident.  The pictures are labeled 1958 but I suspect the year to be
incorrect.  I don't know who the driver is - that's one of the pieces of info
I'm hoping to gather.  I suspect it's Carol Shelby's accident in 1954.  He
drove a Healey in the rally in November of 1954 after helping DMH set 70 new
Class D records at Bonneville Salt Flats in August of the same year.

Back
to the rally, story goes Shelby crashes into a large rock and flips his Healey
several times at the 175 Kilometer marker just north of Oaxaca.  He evidently
was tended to by local Indians that found him after the crash.  They
apparently offered him some strong drinks to ease the pain of his broken
bones, contusions and a shattered elbow.

After moving my household this
past week, I sure could use some of those drinks... but that's a different
story.

Anyway, the two pictures I have are not sourced from the same place
as the description of the event.  So I'm looking for a source to collaborate
the fact that the pictures and story go together or not.  I also have two
pictures of either the same car (restored) or a reproduction taken at Pebble
Beach a few years ago.  I would attach the photos but they will only be
stripped off.  I can send them to anyone who is interested.

I would also be
interested in any other photos or stories of any Healey racing teams running
the Carrera Panamericana rallies during the late 50's and early '60's.  Thank
you in advance for sharing your time and info.

Cheers,
Carlos Cruz