[Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings

Dave Schweninger quenty at ntelos.net
Fri Aug 24 12:59:31 MDT 2007

Hello Tom and everyone else,
During the restoration of Daisy I replaced the brass and steel stock
bearings with roller thrust bearings. This bearing consists of caged
multiple roller assembly and hardened (Rockwell C 58-62) Flat washer-
like rings as the load bearing surfaces. The bearings are rated at
2,900 Lbs. and Max RPM of 8,500. The load rings are .125 and .031 and
are available separately. The stack-up using one .125 and three .031
load rings was slightly less than the stock bearing. Damn slightly .
012 and .007. I used Brass shim stock at the lower end to get to the .
002 max clearance. I made a simple part to center the new bearing
assy. on the King pin.
All this cost $14.38. + 4.38 Shipping from McMaster-Carr. Granted, I
have a lathe and some .005 shim stock.
Daisy is still trying to get her OD Straightened out and her body on
so I haven't driven with the new bearings.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Brits use the same bearing.
Best,
Dave and Daisy