[Healeys] AHCA June Delegates meeting

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Thu Aug 23 13:12:39 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/23/2007 2:04:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ronald-ray at sbcglobal.net writes:

As one delegate expressed, this action seems to be sending a message to the
local chapters
that the AHCA does not need the local clubs

---------------------------------------
I was that person.  I opposed this move when it first came up at the 2006
Delegate's meeting in Atlanta and I opposed it again at the Delegate's meeting at
Conclave.  In both cases I voted in the minority.

To be sure it would be a financial fiasco if, after many Delegates travelled
to a meeting, the meeting could not be held for lack of a quorum.  However
there are other ways for AHCA to deal with the problem then just "lowering its
standards":  A strong effort could be made to solicit proxies and in that way an
area club would still be involved, if indirectly.  And if as it seems some
smaller or more geographically remote area club may not be able to afford all of
the expense of sending a Delegate, National's or other clubs' underwriting
part of the expense certainly might be a possibility.

Bottom line:  AHCA holds itself out to be a National Club--in fact the
preeminent National Club--and if it is to be one then it must act like one.

Best--Michael Oritt