[Healeys] fuel gage/sending unit

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:24:20 MDT 2007

Gary -

You're really not supposed to adjust the guage readings by playing with the
float arm.  You adjust the guage by ... guess what .... adjusting the guage.

This is from an old MGB website (no longer on the web but I know how to get
to it) and the writer's sage advice is:

*Adjustment
*There are 2 slotted holes that allow adjustment of the gauges. Unless there
is a sever inaccuracy, it is not recommended that any attempt is made to
adjust gauges because the two adjustment slots do not work independently
from one another. Adjustment of the slot nearest the low end of the gauge
tends to adjust the full scale reading, while that nearest the high end
varies the minimum reading. It will be found however that getting the gauge
to read correctly at one end also has an effect on the other. Adjusting the
other end then causes the original adjustment to change. Gauges may be
checked and adjusted by applying current from a 10 volt d.c. source through
2 watt resistors or a variable resistor of value shown in the table below.
The approximate resistance required to be in series with the gauge to
produce a given needle position is:.

 <http://web.archive.org/web/20050208010348/>

*Gauge Reading*

Min.

1/4

1/2

3/4

Max.

*Resistance ohms*

320

205

120

85

55

Although he says not to adjust it... I might recommend that while your tank
is empty you adjust the guage so that it reads just at empty.  That way at
least you will always know if you are close to empty.

Regards,

Alan
'52 A90
'53 BN1