[Healeys] traffic indicator

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 22 17:42:36 MDT 2007

G'day Tracy

I will be the first to say that many of my messages are put together
with my tongue firmly planted into my cheek. This is not one of them.

I just had a look at this site and it's simply marvellous.

I look back to when I bought my first BN1 in 1971. Its indicator was a
switch on the dash, the horn was a red button and in the hole within the
steering wheel was a piece of turned aluminium. It took me a little time
to find a complete traffic indicator along with the stator tube.

The BN1 was a daily driver, after all it was just 18 years old and I was
1 year older. I didn't have a garage and any work was undertaken either
over the gutter/kerb so I could crawl underneath or on the grass. With
the brashness of youth I chose the grass to dismantle the indicator but
at least I had the foresight to lay down a piece of newspaper.

Needless to say the bits and pieces went everywhere but thankfully
mostly on the newspaper. However the next hour or so was spent finding
those pieces that were still errant.

They were interesting times - next to no spare parts distributors for
such things, no internet and certainly never enough cash to throw about.
Having said that I do recall being able to buy new BN1 cluster/lay gears
for $45.00 direct from BMC. The result of over enthusiastic driving and
the occasional race event.

Today we are extremely lucky that there are enthusiasts who are prepared
to put time, effort and $$$ into setting up their shops and businesses.
Sure they make money from the arrangement but imagine what it would be
like without them? Plus with just a click of the finger being able to
see what's inside a traffic indicator is bloody fantastic.

We should all be grateful to those fellow enthusiasts who have used
their own time and resources to do such a thing. As well as never taking
for granted such great resources as this list. Long may Mark prosper!

It's a good time to own a Healey or Austin-Healey.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan Saloon