[Healeys] Engine problem

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:34:07 MDT 2007

Jack -

This is normal for all 6 cyl healeys, as the compression of a standard
spec piston is too high for using todays low octane fuels.

The best solution is to put in low compression pistons, but this is a
pain in the arse.

The second best solution is to do as Rich Chrysler suggests, which is
if you gently drop the clutch with the car in gear as you shut off the
ignition, you can usually drop it at the right moment in a way that
you get no lurching.

Make sure the idle is very low (with the 123 you can get it around 550
when hot) and mixture is slightly rich.

Thankfully here in hong kong I can get high octane (because all of the
supercars in this town!)

Cheers!

Alan

--