[Healeys] Gasket Sealant

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Thu Aug 9 13:13:15 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/9/07 11:02:49 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> Thanks for the information and offer.  Moss Motors now stocks Hylomar which
> I think you are referring to as Holamar.  I bought a tube from them with my
> last parts order.  I have used it extensively in my Healey rebuild but I
found
> that sometimes it squeezes out into areas it shouldn't be in.  So I was
> wondering what others are using.
>
> Ron

Ron and all,
Roger Moment and I have been discussing this topic since he notified me that
the Hylomar product that Moss Motors is selling is not (NOT) a non-setting
product. If you're buying Hylomar, you need to look on the tube and box to
find
words that indicates it does not set.
Otherwise, you've lost the advantage of being able to easily remove (and
possibly even reuse) the gaskets.
If you can find it, one product that will work -- will seal, remain pliable,
and be easy to remove -- is Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket and
Jointing Compound, which indicates on the box and tube that it is
"non-setting."
3M weatherstrip seal (called gorilla snot, but be careful what you ask for
because there actually is a product now called "Gorilla Snot") is certainly a
very good hard-setting sealant and properly applied won't leak, but it
requires
solvent and scraping to remove, and of course destroys the paper gasket when
you do.
But there are lots of opinions on what works best and what's best to use.
Cheers
Gary