[Healeys] Fw: AIR LEAK?

Dr. C. Rubino ruvino at ripnet.com
Tue Aug 7 14:52:30 MDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Dr. C. Rubino
To: healeys
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:09 AM
Subject: AIR LEAK?

In the last 50 miles of a 400 mile run I started hearing a variable hissing
sound (like a small fan running fast) from under the hood.

After checking it seemed to be coming from the front carb. Removed the carbs,
re-newed all of the gaskets. At the same time I checked the jet diaphrams-one
on the front carb was showing some hair line cracks but nothing all the way
through. Checked the hoses-bowl connecting hose had quite a few cracks
(couldn't be seen unless you were very up close) which was bound to go soon.

Everything is replaced and same noise. This time I checked (with a hose to my
ear) all around and found the noise coming from the front header pipe. Checked
the tightness of the nuts and the first two were good for one and a half
turns-seemed to quite it down considerably but noise still there.

Your thoughts

Carl
BN-4(L)
BJ-8 engine