[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 1, Issue 94

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 12:52:47 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/3/07 11:01:33 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> I have my tranny cover off right now, and was looking at the thing, if you
> wanted to add a vent with the tranny in place the easiest thing to do would
> be to drill a hole in the filler plug, and you could even swap it out for a
> non drilled one before those pesky concours judges look at your car :).
>
> Greg Lemon
> 54 BN1

Just a note to say that on my MGA race car a vent has been tapped into the
top of the tank, which takes a hose that goes upward and into the catch tank in
my engine compartment. My mechanic said the vent is there for the same reason
that there's a vent on the engine block -- to release pressure that builds up
and makes oil flow more difficult (or causes leaks). The hose and catch tank
are required by the racing groups to keep the air, which would be more like an
oily mist, from dripping on the track.
So, maybe there SHOULD BE such a vent on all transmissions.
Cheers
gary