[Fot] Race Engine Refreshing Frequency - compression results

Anthony Parker solarant at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 29 09:28:35 MDT 2023

Hmmmm.

Which engine?
How high do you rev it?
How much HP over stock?
CR?
Cam lift and duration?
Oil system?

All of these are more important to me than compression or leak-down tests.

Are you worried about the last few HP, or catching issues before expensive parts get damaged?

I cut oil filters, carefully remove the filter media, and visually inspect each pleat after every race. If I see something, it may be too late, or it may help avoid messing up something that I don't want to replace. Need to be able to differentiate what you find in the filter.

Oil analysis is fine, but you need to establish a trend for the specific engine and then understand what the changing analysis is pointing to.

You have all winter (unless you're going to Florida for winter racing). Take the cam and tappets out to inspect contact faces. (Keep track of the location and orientation of all parts.) Take the oil pan off and at least look at a couple of main bearings and rod bearings. This can be done with the crank, pistons, and rods still in the engine.

Looking for leaks at the valve seats, inspecting rocker clearance, touching up or lapping the valves, and doing a rough check on guide wear is the easy part.

If you've been doing this once or twice a year for a few years and nothing ever changes, then you're in heaven.