[Fot] Polarity Question

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 06:07:55 MST 2023

I just bought a new generator for my TR-3A.  The Roadster Factory lists the same part number for the TR-3 generator and the TR-4 generator.  However, the TR-3 was originally positive ground, while the TR-4 was negative ground. Are these new generators set for positive or negative ground, or are they designed to handle either?  I changed the polarity of my car when I restored it years ago, so it is now negative ground.
My question is, do I need to polarize this new generator?  If it is set for a negative ground, I'm afraid I might switch it to positive ground if I do that "flick" thing.  The instructions Albert sent me said to run a wire from the battery terminal which feeds the solenoid (positive in my case), then flick it against the field coil terminal of the generator.  OK, if I need to do this, which is the field coil terminal, the one on the side of the generator, or the large one on the end?
I don't want to do anything that will burn out my new generator or voltage regulator.  Thanks for any help you can give me.
Jack Wheeler