[Fot] Vintage race track

Harvey Kinnard harveykinnard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 14:31:07 MDT 2023

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 6, 2023, at 12:52 PM, DENNIS WALJE via Fot <fot at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> Hi FOT
>
> If you have ever thought of driving on a historic race track, you might look at the “Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival” site.
>
> The city is recreating the event held in the 50s and 60s. The event is on public roads around a lake in Lake Garnett Kansas. I remember it as a boy and it attracted Carroll Shelby and the Cobra team, the factory Corvette team and entrants from across the country. At one time there were thousands of spectators.
>
> The event is Oct 13-15. While is it’s not a sanctioned race it is an opportunity to drive at speed (various classes) as a track day.  It also has an auto cross.
>
> It’s a low stress way to enjoy your car on track and see a lot of vintage cars.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis Walje
> 1968 GT6
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Hello FOT,
I want to second this Track and Event. If you pony up and join Heartland Vintage Racing for less than $100.00 you can run in the Vintage Racing Class without any speed restrictions. There are two actual racing classes, one for vintage racers and one for modern race cars. The track is not wide so smaller cars do well, often beating the big hp cars. The cars that show up are surprising, from super impressive to super, what was that. If you check out Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival you will begin to get a feel for this historic track. When Shelby showed up to contest the “factory” Corvettes 60,000 spectators showed up and completely overwhelmed tiny Garnett. Full disclosure, they still won’t let anyone race into the sharp turn onto the dam. A chicane of hay bales prevents that. It is a course that requires your full attention. There is no qualifying or timing and scoring so you’ll have to figure out how you are doing on your own.  It is a great course for Triumphs. This year will be the 10th anniversary of the event. Love to see everyone there.
Harvey Kinnard
Red TR 4 #111