[Fot] A cam for Rick

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Sun Jan 22 15:31:09 MST 2023

I was going to keep out of this one but am not capable of it.  :)

I run Larry's original design cams.  I'm not quite sure who is making
them now - Ken Knight had some made last go-round.  It's fast but not as
peaky as the Erson 24 - coming out of a turn at 3000 rpm is fine, 3500
is better, pulls through 6500 RPM, not sure where it drops off - haven't
had the courage to rev that high.

Most of the front runners (to my knowledge at least) run the Erson 24.
I ran a modified one of those (experimental) and hated that one because
it was even worse at low RPM than the Erson.

We ran an Isky 666 cam early on and it might be more suitable for a less
highly stressed engine.  It was tractable and pulled through 6000, not
sure about higher - I suspect going over 6000 won't be worth it.  With a
built engine, ported head, all the goodies it's not as fast / powerful
as the Larry or Erson ones.

The Isky would be easier on the valve train.  Larry's profile requires
full diameter stock lifters - if you've gone with the GT40 lifters
sleeved down it'll wipe the cam.  One set of lifters I bought from BPNW
they had put a chamfer around the edge to break the sharp edge and that
was enough to wipe a cam too.  It's pretty high lift so you need to have
your ducks in a row for there not to be spring bind, have the seat
pressures right, and consider valves and springs a replaceable wear
item.  I suspect the same is true for the Erson 24 grind as well.  I
believe there's an Erson 23 grind which is less radical that might be an
option.

I'm trying to point out possible "off the shelf" items that don't
require you to send a profile to a cam grinder...

The Erson ones are hopefully still available from Brian Howlett / BFE /
www.BritishFrameandEngine.com.  Not sure who's making the Larry Young
design ones now.

Cheers, Tony Drews