[Fot] isky oil recommendations

J Wagner 4msonset at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:23:41 MST 2023

greg…

I thought it might be easier for some people to read here in text, rather than from the photo…

—Justin

2.023 Updated Motor Oil Warning!!
Important message regarding critical "break-in" and "running" protection for all high performance flat-tappet hydraulic and solid lifter camshafts.
Not all motor oils are created equal! Unfortunately, when installing a high-performance camshaft, most oils will not afford your new cam sufficient protection during and after the initial 'break-in' period (the mating-in of the virgin metal surfaces between cam-lobes and lifters). This is because government regulators have mandated (as of January '04) a phased reduction and the eventual elimination of the critical anti-wear additive package (zinc/phosphorus) from all "SM" rated (street legal) motor oils to protect catalytic converters.
Currently, ISKY recommends the use of only the following motor oils for maximum cam lobe and lifter protection during and after the 'break-in' period because they are among the orly conventional (mineral base non-synthetic) oils available with generous levels of the critical anti-wear zinc/phosphorous additive package (at Least 1550-1600 pm for racing and up to, or exceeding 2000 ppm for break-in). Listed alphabetically, they are;
Cen-Pe-Co (Central Petroleum Co.) 30 wt. Break-in Oil and Super Racing Oil (100% Paraffinic Base)
Briven BR-30 Breaki Oil and their GP-1 SemI-Swathetick Racing O!!
Mr. Race Oil SAE 30 Break-in Oil and their Drag Race / Oval Track Synthetic Blends*
*(semi-synthetic and synthetic blends average about 80% conventional, 20% synthetic)
We feel that the above listed motor oils are the finest available today, actually exceeding the protection levels of the former racing standard (yet no longer available) original Kendall GT-1. NOTE: WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE USE OF THESE 'BREAK-IN' SPECIFIC OILS for higher levels of anti-wear protection upon initial start-up and for the first 30 minutes of operation! If you do not use one of the above oils, the next best approach is to supplement other common mineral based oils with a zinc/phosphorous additive, of which only the following two are approved by ISKY: Either CAM SHIELD by Mr. Race Oil or ZDDPLUS. HOWEVER;
RATHER THAN SUPPLEMENTING, YOU ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO EMPLOY THE
*MORE SHEAR STABLE, ENHANCED POLYMERS IN ONE OF THE ABOVE LISTED BREAK-IN' OILS INSTEAD (ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT FOR ENGINES WITH HIGHER LIFT, MORE AGRESSIVE CAMSHAFTS, HIGHER ROCKER RATIOS, AND HEAVIER VALVE SPRING LOADING)!
* * Special Note Regarding Synthetic Oils *
ISKY does not recommend the use of fully synthetic oils with any flat-tappet camshaft, especially during break-in'. If you must use fully synthetic oil after break-in, there are several racing synthetics with excellent wincinhosphorous additive nookages that we are comfortable recommending such as Amocil (Rod) Raging. Oil, Cen-Pe-Co, Mr. Race Oil and Schaeffer Oil. Avoid those with very low viscosity index numbers (Ow-15, 5w-20 etc.) because of their lower film strength. However, realistically, for the sake of all flat tappet hydraulic or mechanical lifter camshafts, you'11 want to consider that no highly refined synthetic oil (with considerably higher surface tension) will wet down cam lobe surfaces as well as, a couventional mineral based oil to both lubricate and carry away heat! These two qualities are of fundamental importance for any good motor oil and particularly so for any High-Performance flat tappet camshaft installation!
Lastly, even when you employ the correct oil, remember that camshafts receive no direct-pressurized lubrication to their cam lobes and therefore depend on the foggy mist or "splash" off the connecting rods for survival. Therefore, when getting ready to start the motor up, remember to immediately rev to 2000/2500 RPM and keep it there for the first 15-20 minutes of operation. Also; be sure the ignition is timed properly and fuel is in the carburetor bowl to avoid excessive cranking on the starter and pre-disposing your cam's installation to a high riok of premature wear. Reducing valve spring loading (removing the inner springs is one method) and lower rocker arm ratios are encouraged during the camshaft's critical break-in process.
RACING CAMS
ED ISKENDERIAN RACING. CAMS
16020 S. BROADWAY BOX 30 • GARDENA, CALIFORNIA 90247-9990;
(310) 217-9232 Fax (310) 515-5730 www.iskycams.com