[Fot] Kas Kastner Sailing Society

Philip Gott vfracing at aol.com
Sun Aug 20 17:21:16 MDT 2023

Well, here’s a nautical version of being beaten by equipment…
During prohibition my great uncle, Capt. Shirley Nickerson, earned his living as a fisherman. Being an astute businessman he had the fastest boat in the area so he could get his catch to market first and get the best price. He began to notice that a number of his fellow fisherman were driving fancy cars and were well dressed around town. Now how could that be if he was getting top dollar?
He soon learned that they were running booze into shore for the professional smugglers. His “friends” encouraged him to do the same. After all, he had the fastest boat. What could possibly go wrong? He took the plunge.
Being inexperienced in such matters, the “Feds” caught him on his first run.  Not only was he fined, but they confiscated his boat and used to chase down his “fisherman” buddies.
It took quite a while for the icy friendships to thaw after that episode. His buddies were BEATEN BY EQUIPMENT!!!!
Phil Gott

Sent from my iPhone