[Fot] gear shift knob

Greg Hilyer lunkercars at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 22:38:28 MDT 2023

A early Jag XKE has a beautiful brass knob under the plastic coating that originally showed the shift pattern. Weighs about 7lbs but sure is pretty.
Start of the Kas Cup race at Watkins Glen 2008(?). Got a good second gear run up to the green flag. Picked up a few spots. Hit third and that nice brass knob broke right off, landed in my side of the tunnel, and I spent half the race trying to keep it from going under the pedals. Finding a  rolling ball while wearing a harness isn’t easy, but by about lap 5 I had tossed it into the passenger footwell. Still have it as a memento but have never used it since - just been using a big nut with a wrap of duct tape ever since - safety you know…
I’ve heard of the Balsa wood knobs from the Porsche 917 being a weight savings but since you’ve got to buy a 917 to get a real one, I’m not sure the benefit. And probably not “vintage legal” for a TR anyway - but ask Henry M.
My (overpriced) $.02 worth…
Greg “Lunker” Hilyer
Albuquerque NM