[Fot] Garmin Catalyst- anyone tried it?

David Gott triumphsix at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 07:22:38 MDT 2023

For a poor man’s data acquisition system, we are using the Track Addict app, available with any smartphone.  I have mine rigged up on a Kindle tablet of all things, and am using a 10hz external GPS receiver.  (Phones usually have 1 hz which works, but not ideal.).  I find this gives great information for short money, and the bonus is that if you have a chance to glance down, it gives you split times and green/red if you are faster or slower that split.  Not to worry; I am not reading “The Last Open Road” down the straights; although might give me something to do at RA.
 Comparing data afterwards helps us greatly.  (I have my Kindle mounted in the Speedometer position).   You can also set the app to turn on/off your GoPro, and it will sync up data to the video if you later combine with Race Render on a PC/Mac.
Fast forward to stuff from the autocross world, there is an app called Solostorm which downloads video and overlays the data gathered real time, comparing drivers on the spot, between runs even.   Awesome.  They just released a track version; check out Petral Data systems.  Haven’t tried the track version yet, but after years of not spending the money on the software, I’m now kicking myself for not getting it sooner, with its instant feedback.  TrackAddict can do almost the same, but requires more fiddling…. And can compare afterwards to see what was happening when, g force, top speeds, segment times, braking points and strengths, etc.
It was super interesting to see the data comparison between the #80 and 114 TR4’s with the same driver; one had an 11 mph advantage at exit of the last turn at Thompson, but gave up in gearing later on, and also in speed around the hairpin.  (Quaife vs welded diff).  Super interesting!
Having the split times displayed real time with TrackAddict helped me at the Glen realize I could hold turn 1 in 4th gear, and only lose a tenth or two; also helped not having a shift later; top speed was the same into the bus stop and at the top of the esses.     I was likely overslowing downshifting to third, but since I couldn’t shift,  I found out how to carry speed to hold 4th…. LOL.   (Was the nascar configuration).  I used to shun data, as “too much info” but now I see the wisdom, and it helped me real time with the proper tools.
Hope that helps!Dave Gott

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone