[Fot] Historic Race Group is 25 years old today

Mike Harmuth ofracer at gmail.com
Tue May 10 10:06:55 MDT 2022

FYI, quite a few FOTers race with us.

On May 10, 1997 the predecessor of HRG,  the Volvo Historic Series, held
it's first race. 10 cars took the green flag at the SCCA's Northern New
Jersey Region race weekend at Pocono
[image: 1st race may 10 1997.jpg]

This event was the culmination of a year's hard work by NNJR members Tom
Lynch and Dave Panas after Tom was contacted by Volvo in 1996. Volvo wanted
to sponsor a vintage racing series but didn't have the expertise to
actually run one. Tom and Dave, working with the SCCA, created the
particular rule set, as well as the championship structure, needed to allow
older cars to race under the umbrella of the SCCA.

In the first year, the VHS group had 5 races held at Pocono, Lime Rock and
Bridgehampton. The 1st race, and the first championship were won by a Volvo
P1800, driven by Duane Matejka.

With Volvo sponsorship, the series rapidly grew. Fields of 50 cars at the
larger tracks (now including Watkins Glen, Bryar, and Nelson Ledges) were
common. We also expanded into supporting professional (ALMS, NASCAR, ARCA)
races around the Northeast US.
[image: VHS - Lime Rock - July 2001 - 2 022.jpg]

In 2003, with a downturn in the economy, Volvo had to withdraw from
sponsorship but the series continued. We were re-charted as HRG, again by
the SCCA, under the direction of the North East Division where we continue
to race today.

The full story is on our website, HRG @ 25
<https://historicracinggroup.com/25-anniversary.php> .

HRG's drivers would like to thank everyone involved, from the officials,
track workers, families and crew for supporting us over the past 25 years.
I'd like to thank the drivers for the dedication and commitment it takes to
keep these great cars, not just running, but competing at the
highest levels of sportsmanship and camaraderie.

The cars make it cool, the people make it great.

mike H
 series admin

Thompson 2019
[image: Thompson Grid June 2019.jpg]