[Fot] To thermostat or not to thermostat...

tr4racing at googlemail.com tr4racing at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:49:15 MDT 2022

Dear Ken,

a really interesting discussion.

As far I know….F1 cars do enter air in the engine compartment and waste it through the rear diffusor together with the exhaust fumes.

But maybe I’m not up to date.

I only look at my car at speed. What is going on, which air is going where, what item needs cooling, what suffers from heat.

I would say that my car is one of the most reliable cars on the grid.

We don’t have desert races here but the temperatures can climb above 40°C in the shadow. Not often but occasionally.

I don’t look on my car stationary. Stationary cars might profit from wrapped  headers.

You’re right, Porsche did the measurements on the crossflow heads. Our heads are even more sensitive to wrapped headers because the header and intake are on the same side and close neighbors.

I gloss polished my intake header to reflect any heat radiation from the exhaust. As a result only conducted heat does heat it up.

Conduction takes place from the head side. The cooler the exhaust header and head is, the less the intake heats up, gives more power as the intake charge remains colder and more dense.

To cool the exhaust header I need fresh air.

I don’t use an airbox as an airbox is a reflection chamber for all 4  cylinders and I don’t have the opportunity to calculate if the wavefronts of the intake process interfere in a bad manner or in a positive manner. Using no airbox is in my opinion the safe side.

I don’t rev my engine high. 5800 or maybe 6200 if needed. The overdrive is keeping the revs low.

My engine is designed to give good torque but not high power. It  produces about 170foot pound something and the curve starts from 3000 – 5800 rpm.

Cheers

Chris