[Fot] Final drive (differential) oil

Enquiries Road & Track enquiries at roadandtrack.net.au
Thu Aug 11 15:03:40 MDT 2022

i offer some comments based on decades of dealing with this issue in lots
of different race cars

to select the correct viscosity, you really need to know the operating
temperature

Adhesive temp indicating labels on the outside of the main diff case are
usually the easiest method. they will give you a good idea of
whats happening inside

typically, the outer case is a few degrees cooler that the circulating oil,
so be cautious here as it is most likely a lot "cooler" then the oil film
between the ring and the pinion at the point of their contact

if you are seeing temps much over 100C on the outer, then the old 90 weight
diff oils are highly unlikely to acceptable

once most 'off-the-shelf" oils get to about 100C, they are starting to
degrade ,  some irrevocably (ie they are stuffed!!)

once you have an idea of temps , start looking at kinematic viscosity of
the oil being suggested. simplistically, its this value that allow the oil
to function as a metal to metal separator and the hotter things get, the
lower the viscosity becomes, and the lower the chance of it keeping metals
apart. the various brands of "race oils" can differ widely in this regard

in most modern rear-drive race cars we are using 140 grade purpose-made
race gear oils, and these have all sorts of fancy additives

microfinishing the ring and pinion gears prior to a diff build, can drop
working temperatures considerably

hope this helps in some way

Terry
Australia