[Fot] Tire Pyrometer

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 14:27:50 MDT 2021

 Hi,
Mike - I've been using a cheap unit from Longacre since forever... probably 20 years. I paid less than $75 for it at the time. It's got no memory function - it does tires or brakes (different temp ranges) by touching the pointy probe to the surface that you're testing.
Turns out the meter is super helpful for lots of household chores, so it gets used year-round at our house. I used to use it to check the flue temps on the woodstove but it's also been used to find air leaks related to frozen pipes. SO - super useful.
Allen - Regarding actual tire temps for Hoosier - I have yet to find a setup the results in completely even tire temps across the face of the tire. I used to try changes on skid pads when our local SCCA Solo folks ran T&T's - no dice. That said, I have found over the years that the Hoosiers (both radials and bias-ply) are sensitive to operating PRESSURE much more than tire temps. In solo, we found that increments of .5 pounds mattered. But that's mostly due to how fast the tires need to heat up and kool down. A pound or so in vintage road racing seems to be good enough. That said, the best handling for me in my TR6 with TDR's is around 28 PSI hot. I adjust the cold temps based on pressure gain based on ambient temps and my first practice session at any track. I've been told by the guys at KTR that my hot pressures are probably too high, but I dropped them a lot and all I got was more tire rollover and not faster laps. But that's me and my car. Yours may be different.
Regards,Bob Lang