[Fot] TR3 wire wheel knockoffs

Henry Giffin hankgiffin at cox.net
Mon Sep 27 20:27:04 MDT 2021

There is a lot of expertise on FoT and I have a question I expect the
knowledgeable ones will be able to help.

     On my early (1956) street TR3 (ex-Mike Jackson) I decided to replace
the somewhat rusty wire wheel knockoffs.  I had another set of knockoffs
(and hubs) from another TR3 in better shape, but the threads were more
coarse and didn't fit.  So I thought they might have been from another
British car, and ordered a new set of knockoffs from Moss.  They too were
too coarse.

    Can anyone confirm that the early TR3s had a finer thread on their hubs?

    I would like to keep the car original but may have to swap the hubs to
use the nicer knockoffs, or chrome the fine threaded ones.  Or just live
with the rust!

    Can anyone confirm the early TR3s had finer knockoff threads or is there
another possible explanation?

     Thx, Hank

Hank Giffin

757-375-1491