[Fot] 1962 TR4 Race car on Bat

yellow04 yellow04 at tr4racer.com
Fri Jan 29 15:06:30 MST 2021

Yeah, I am familiar. As Irv states that's Don Brick's car, the third
member of the original Beady Eye Vintage Triumph Racing Team.

I rode shotgun in that car for one lap at Grattan some 15+ years ago. It
was my first time at the track, and VSCDA has/had a deal where they
allowed lunchtime rides around the track. Probably for charity, I don't
remember. What I do remember was Bill Dentinger, Bob Wismer and Don
thought I needed some "instruction" on how to drive the track, so Don
and I go out at lunchtime. We are in street clothes, no helmets, and all
I have a lap belt. Well, we drive out of the pits and Don is on it, full
chat. We are heading for turn one, and I realize Don is not slowing
down, he's hard on the gas right up to the braking point.  He calmly
says "I like to be over here when I brake", and stabs the brakes, turns
in, and we go sliding around turn one. I'm looking for things to hold on
to but coming up short. We are coming up on another car, and I am
thinking OK, the guy running lunchtime laps was adamant, parade laps, no
passing, so I am thinking Don is going to fall in line... Wrong. Don
just blows right by him and we continue blasting around the track with
tires squealing on every corner, and a running commentary from Don on
how he approaches the track. I seem to remember we got shown the black
flag at start/finish the first time by, Don looks at me and says
something like "I wonder what that was for?" Back in the pits I remember
Don explaining to whoever was yelling at him that he never heard any of
the rules about the lunchtime laps! Good fun...

I hope the car finds a good home, even better if it comes back to our
neck of the woods. The last time all three Beady Eye cars were together
was 2017 at Blackhawk.