[Fot] TR6/GT6 Quarter Master flywheel set up

Sam Halkias atr6racer at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 08:14:34 MDT 2020

To all TR6/GT6 racers out there, I have used a QM 7 pound steel flywheel and 7.25" clutch  pictured in the attachment for the past 25 years with no failures. I have purchased 10 of these flywheels over that period, mostly due to minimum order of  5 flywheels per order as these are custom just for the Triumph six cylinder.  This is for the short butt/late model crankshaft only. It has the ring gear actually cut into the flywheel itself, which is made from a high alloy steel. Clutch disc run around $60 each, and they can do any center spline you want. As for release bearings I use a GT6 throw out bearing on my Jerico gearbox due to the smaller diameter as it fits the fingers of the pressure plate perfectly. You can use the stock TR6 release bearing but the amount of force needed to disengage is really way to much for your leg! I also us the annular style release bearings and find that set up very easy to operate and maintain.

I do not need 5 flywheels, so I'm looking for at least 4 other Racers out in FOT land that might want one of these flywheels. I already have one spot filled but the more the merrier. I have never had a failure with this set up and the only thing I do different is order the flywheel with double dowels, I  keep the standard 4 bolt 7/16" bolts. All I do is replace the disc every 3 or 4 events, depending on how much paddock driving I have to do as that is tougher on the disc than actual racing, especially after coming off the track hot with a 1.70 first gear!

No hurry, Quarter Master is now shutdown  due to this pandemic, so this effort has plenty of time to get together. Last order I did the cost was around $550 for each flywheel.  You can only use QM pressure plate with this flywheel as Tilton pressure plates are different. If you are interested of have any questions let me know.

Sam Halkias