[Fot] Oddity found in TR4 oil pan.

David Gott triumphsix at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 18:57:45 MDT 2020

Thank you all for all the responses!   Here are the results.....but first, have you all seen Ford vs Ferrari?   Remember the scene where Carrol throws a nut under the Ferrari in the pits, and it is later discovered by the crew, and they all freak out?   Yes, this appears to be that.
Tore down the engine and there is nothing currently in the engine that this came from; we inspected every moving part.   So must have been hiding somewhere in the block from before... or one of you put something in there when I wasn’t looking at the Kastner cup!   Haha. Realistically something must have been lodged somewhere; although I’ve had the pan dropped several times since taking custody of the car and never found anything odd.   Maybe this was a copper washer that I lost at some point!
One item we did find, however, which was good to find, is that cylinder one small end on the connecting rod wasn’t reamed correctly and was hanging up in the wrist pin a bit.   This is the only part (wrist pins and small end bushes) I haven’t addressed in the engine, so off to the machine shop it goes for a new small end bush to be put in.  However, no appreciable material was worn from the bushing, and certainly not that amount of material!   So a worthwhile project, but I’ll have to miss the night race at Thompson I was planning for this coming Saturday, I think.   It’s the price I pay for doing what I can, when I can!  But what fun would it be if there wasn’t anything to do??
Fun fact: Joe Gibbs Driven XP3 oil seems to be a solvent for Permatex Aviation gasket cement.   The felts in the rear main cap were washed clean, resulting in an oil leak which launched this process in the first place.
Take care, and thank you all for the input on and off list!!
Dave Gott

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone