[Fot] Charlie Kates and his TR4 BAT vs GATOR

Vince G vangoughv at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 13:15:51 MDT 2019

Great hearing the stories from fellow FOT’s.   Priceless    Thanks for sharing...

Vince

On Sep 27, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Mike Jackson via Fot <fot at autox.team.net<mailto:fot at autox.team.net>> wrote:

Yea, not a dream.  Back in the day when SVRA had a spring race down here in South Florida and Charlie had a relative that lives near by to visit.
Not only was he actually hanging upside down, in a FULL Batman costume but he had his little portable potty stationed back there with a rubber alligator placed as if it were about to be flushed down AND a boom box playing "See You Later Alligator" by Bill Haley and the Comets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1UQ47rWKU

Oh yea, Charlie's business is as a caterer/chef so he had purchased some 'gator chunks locally and fried them up to hand out to those passing by.
That evening a friend found a certificate for labeling a bat roost which we filled out and stuck to the side of his trailer.

And then he retired from racing and wasnt heard from for several years until after his wife passed away.  Out of the blue he calls me years later and says "Well, my wife is dead so I guess it's about time I get back to racing"  He was interested  in finding another TR4 and I located one in the Midwest to send him to see.  Irv Corey's car as I recall.  Before he got there I mailed Irv a bat-a-gator to put in the car.  In the end he bought a different Brit car but at least we got him back!

And, the bat-a-gators are another chapter that involved an argument about whether his Bat or my Gator was male vs female.  But seriously, think about it, have you ever seen a gator that looked female?  Me neither and I've seen a bundle of 'em down here.  Including the one that used to live in my pond, we named him Burt, after BS Levy.