[Fot] Tire Rack and tire dates

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Tue Sep 17 09:57:50 MDT 2019

I don’t know how many of you buy tires from Tire Rack but I just had an interesting experience I thought I would share.
I recently ordered Toyo Proxes R888Rs for the GT6.  I always have the same conversation with the sales person - "what date tires are you shipping, I don’t want last years’ tires”.
They are always clear that they can’t guarantee the date, but the guy assured me that they had not shipped anything older than 2019 since March of this year, so I thought I was good.
They were delivered to my home two days before I left for the track, I didn’t look at them and took them to the track to be mounted.  Then I looked.  Ugh.  A 2016, a 2018 and two 2019s.
Though the tires performed fine, I was not a happy camper.  I called Tire Rack, and after two calls, got a credit for the 2016 and more importantly, figured out how to avoid this in the future.
They will not offer this unless you specifically ask, but if you tell them that your order should have instructions to the warehouse to only ship a date code newer than X (pick a date), and to cancel the order if they can’t do that, they will do so.

Tire Rack has good prices, will shave the tires for $20 each, and I don’t have anyone convenient to me who offers what I need, so I buy race tires and at least one set of passenger car tires from TR every year.  However, absent specific instructions, apparently their policy is that any tire manufactured in the last four years is good.

They claim sometimes they get the older tires from the manufacturer, not that they have been sitting on them.  Don’t know if I believe that.

Scott