[Fot] Weird Race Weekend Question

Rick Parent rick.parent at att.net
Tue Nov 26 07:28:38 MST 2019

 That's about normal, why in the sam hell are you using that heavy ass double chain set up?? Come on man get it together.

    On Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 08:29:26 AM EST, Robert Lang via Fot <fot at autox.team.net> wrote:

  Hi - They usually "jump" a tooth on overrun, or at least that's my experience. Or it can happen on a backfire... I had a Pontiac with a V8 back in the day. The exhaust pipe broke before the muffler, so it had a really kool rumble sound. I used to take it out at night and drive exit ramps at "stupid speed" and then downshift the auto trans one gear to get the koolest sound... not to mention "power-off oversteer".  Drift City. After one of these excursions, the engine became very hard to start. I took the car off the road and sold it to a friend. About a month later, he called me up all pissed off and wanting his $600 back because he had to fix the timing chain.
Never sold a car to a friend or associate ever again.
;-)
But in addition to the new chain and tensioner, take a close look at that crank gear and make sure the "troughs" don't have a burr or the points aren't sharp, either would indicate wear and you don't want that.
I don't recall a spec for play in the chain, but you want "as little as possible". If you can get the cam gear onto the cam easily with the chain threaded, that's too loose.

C ya,Bob Lang